Seriously? This is important.

I've heard it said that life is too important to be taken seriously, and I have no idea what that means, but I do know that life can feel too serious most of the time. Especially in today's economy, climate, political quagmire, everywhere we turn, important things are seriously messed up.

The amazing thing is that spiritually speaking, THIS life, THESE important things, are just a blip...our childhood...and REAL life doesn't even begin until we're long gone from this one. If we can maintain the proper perspective, the troubles of this life become not only manageable but light. In the scope of eternity, what is today?
Less than a blip. It's not even an ip.

Thinking about life that way has helped me realize that today's problems are nothing, even when they look enormous. When trouble comes my way - I laugh and say "it's not my problem!" because I learned long ago that I can't do anything about anything. When I try, boy do I make messes. God knows how to sort things out, and He always does, if I keep my hands off and wait for His instructions.

Remember that your life is eternal - take just a moment and imagine with me...do you think in a thousand years, we'll be reading each others thoughts and ideas on some heavenly social network or sitting around gorgeous hillsides sharing life face to face? I can tell you, we won't be discussing politics or religion - finances or sports scores.  How silly all that will seem, when we're in the presence of the Almighty.



Try to spend your days here and now preparing your heart for 1000 years from now instead of working on your five year plan. What can you take with you beyond this life? Your relationship with Jesus, and your spiritual children. Pray daily that your natural children will become your spiritual children as well, and pour yourself into them. Build relationships within the Body of Christ (other believers) and  limit your exposure to the world to the basic tasks of living, evangelizing and serving others. This life is short, regardless of whether it's good or bad, but we all can make it count for the Kingdom.

What's important is the treasure you should be banking in the heavenlies, and what's serious is the reality that too many of us are more concerned with the distractions and activities here in the "ip."

Matthew 6:19-21
Don't collect for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But collect for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves don't break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you.

No comments: